1 tablespoon e.v. olive oil
1 large onion, peeled and chopped
1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
1 small celery root, peeled and chopped
1-2 cloves garlic, minced
1 lb ground lamb (or another ground meat, or a combination)
1 cup stock (lamb or chicken or beef), preferably homemade
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 1/2 tsp finely chopped rosemary
1 tablespoon chopped italian parsley
1 cup frozen peas
2 lbs yukon gold or russet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
2-3 medium parsnips, peeled and cut into chunks
7 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/4-1/2 cup milk
kosher salt + freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- heat a large saute pan over medium high heat, warm the oil, then add the onion, garlic, carrots, celery root and meat. cook until lightly browned, about 8 minutes.
- add broth, tomato paste, and herbs. simmer until juices reduce and thicken slightly, about 10 minutes, the add the peas. season with salt and pepper.
- pour the mixture into a 1 1/2 quart baking dish and set aside.
- meanwhile, bring the potatoes and parsnips to a boil in generously salted water. cook until tender, then drain thoroughly.
- mash the potatoes and parsnips with the butter, milk and salt, taste for seasoning.
- spread the mash over the meat mixture, then crosshatch the top with a fork.
- bake until golden, 30-35 minutes.