When zucchini is over-running your garden and the farmers’ markets, consider these crunchy snacks that will hook everyone at your next summer gathering. They are great as backyard munchies or an easy side dish.
Prep time: 15 minutes, plus 25-35 minutes to bake
Servings: 4 as a snack
• 2 medium zucchini, washed and patted dry
• 1 tablespoon olive oil
• 1/3 cup grated parmesan
• 1/3 cup unseasoned bread crumbs
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• ground pepper to taste
• fresh herbs, such as oregano, basil, parsley, rosemary (optional), washed, patted very dry, and chopped
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Coat an unlined cookie sheet with cooking spray.
2. In a small bowl, combine olive oil, parmesan, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, and herbs.
3. Slice zucchini into 1/4 rounds (not thinner). Lay rounds on clean kitchen towel and blot with paper towel, absorbing extra moisture.
4. Dip each slice into the parmesan mixture, coating both sides and patting it to help it stick.
5. Place coated slices on prepared cooking sheet. Bake 25-35 minutes, until golden, sizzling and crisp. Remove with spatula to serving plate and serve immediately.
Tip: Eat these immediately to avoid soggy zuke discs. Can’t call them crisps more than 5-7 minutes after removing them from the oven.
Recipe courtesy of Liz Rueven
Kosher Like Me