Radish Salad with Radish Top Salsa Verde and Crumbled Chevre by Phoebe Cole-Smith
Prep time: 25 minutes
For the radish top salsa verde:
• fresh green radish tops from 4-5 bunches radishes
• 1 bunch Italian parsley, leaves picked, stems reserved for another use
• 1 small bunch chives with blossoms, snipped into 1-inch lengths (4-6 blossoms set aside for salad)
• a small handful of mint leaves
• 2 sprigs oregano or marjoram
• 1 small garlic clove, peeled
• 1 salt-cured anchovy, deboned and rinsed (optional)
• juice of 1 lemon
• 2-3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
• 1 tablespoon champagne vinegar
• 1 tablespoon capers, rinsed
• flaky sea salt
For the radish salad:
• 5-6 bunches large red radishes of any variety (French breakfast, cherry belle, or a
• mixture) with fresh green tops, sliced, then cut into julienne
• 2 scallions, white and green parts, sliced thin
• ½ tablespoon chopped fresh dill
• 4-6 chive blossoms, petals pulled from the heads
• zest of 1 lemon
• juice of ½ lemon
• 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
• flaky sea salt
• 2-3 ounces aged chèvre or feta, crumbled
Make the salsa verde:
1. In the bowl of an electric food processor, combine the radish tops, parsley, chives, mint, oregano, garlic, anchovy, and lemon juice. Process until you have a coarse paste, about 15 seconds.
2. With the machine running, slowly add the olive oil until you have a thick smooth paste, about 30 seconds. Add more olive oil if necessary, and the champagne vinegar.
3. Finally, add the capers and pulse the machine a couple of times just to break them up, but not puree.
4. Scrape the mixture into a bowl and taste for seasoning, adding sea salt, and more lemon juice if necessary. Set aside.
Make the radish salad:
1. Combine the julienned radishes, scallions, dill, and half the chive blossoms in a
2. In a small bowl, make a vinaigrette with the lemon juice, lemon zest, olive oil, and sea salt, tasting for seasoning.
3. Toss the radishes with a small amount of the vinaigrette, using more as needed.
1. Divide the salad among 4 small salad plates, drizzle with the radish top salsa verde, and sprinkle each serving with crumbled chèvre.
2. Garnish with more chive blossoms, and serve immediately.
Recipe courtesy of Phoebe Cole-Smith, Farmer-Chef
Dirt Road Farm and PICNIC