Prep time: 45-50 minutes
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup sweet mirin
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons (Meyer) lemon juice
- 4 star anise pods
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2” ginger root, sliced into coins
- 4 Asian pears, peeled, halved, and cored
- Bring the first 7 ingredients to a boil in a heavy large saucepan, stirring until sugar dissolves. Cover and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add the pears to the syrup and add enough water to cover. Cover the pan; simmer on low until the pears are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the pears to a bowl. Increase the heat; boil liquid until reduced to 1-3/4 cup, about 15-20 minutes.
- Strain the syrup and set aside. To serve, place an Asian pear half on each plate and drizzle the syrup over them.
Recipe courtesy of Cecily Gans, Chef Instructor, Staples High School, Westport Continuing Education; Chef/Foods Educator/Owner, The Main Course Catering LLC