Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes (plus extra time for cooking the rice)
- 2 large red peppers
- 7 oz. soft goat cheese (can substitute cashew cheese for vegan version)
- 3 T. shredded basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- brown rice, cooked and kept warm (allow 3 oz. raw rice per serving – 6 oz. for this recipe)
- olive oil for drizzling
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Slice each red pepper in half vertically, remove the core and seeds, then place pepper halves, cut side up, on a baking sheet. Bake in the oven about 10 minutes or until they are beginning to soften.
- Meanwhile, mix together the cheese, basil, garlic and rice in a bowl.
- Remove the pepper halves from the oven and spoon some rice mixture into each pepper half, piling it up if necessary and dividing it evenly.
- Drizzle a little olive oil over each stuffed pepper half, then return them to the oven and bake for 20 minutes more or until cooked.
Recipe courtesy of Sue Smith, Certified Health Counselor