Winter Squash Stuffed with Vegan Quiche
Prep time: 1 hour
This dish is perfect throughout autumn when squash is sweet and ever-present at our farmers’ market. It makes a lovely main dish for the vegetarians and vegans at your Thanksgiving table, too. Recipe courtesy of Carissa Hvizdo, The Stand.
2 winter squash of any type
3 summer squash, sliced into rings
3 zucchini, sliced into rings
½ cup broccoli stems, chopped
½ cup broccoli florets, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 leek, chopped
½ cup gluten-free flour
1 teaspoon nutritional yeast*
3 stalks kale, ripped into bite-size pieces
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cut winter squash in half lengthwise and roast on a dry cookie sheet for 35 minutes, skin side up.
3. Meanwhile, steam zucchini, summer squash, broccoli stems and broccoli florets together until softened, about 20 minutes. Set aside.
4. Sauté onion and leek until almost caramelized.
5. Mix vegetables together in a large bowl, then add gluten-free flour, nutritional yeast and raw kale and gently combine.
6. When squash is done, scoop out the seeds and strings (seeds may be reserved for roasting), carefully leaving the flesh and shell intact.
7. Stuff the squash shells with quiche mixture and carefully place back onto baking sheet. Bake for another 15 minutes until quiche is gooey and delicious!