Prep time: 45 minutes
– 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
– 1 medium onion, sliced
– 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
– 2 teaspoons finely chopped ginger
– 2 1/2 teaspoons curry powder
– 1 teaspoon salt
– 1 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
– 2 pounds pumpkin, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces, about 4 cups (can substitute winter squash)
– 1 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
– 3/4 cup raisins
– 3/4 cup fresh shelled or frozen baby peas
– fresh cilantro, for garnish
1. Heat butter in a large pan over medium-high heat, add onion, and cook until golden-brown, about five minutes. Add garlic and cook one minute more.
2. Stir in curry powder, salt, and pepper. Add pumpkin and cook for five minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Pour in broth and raisins, cover, and reduce heat to medium. After 15 minutes, add peas. Replace cover and continue to cook until pumpkin is tender, five to 10 minutes more.
4. Garnish with cilantro.
Sue Smith, Certified Health Counselor