• 1 ½ cups flour
• ½ teaspoon salt
• 5 tablespoons frozen shortening (transfat-free Crisco, or Earth Balance type)
• 4 tablespoons frozen butter
• 4-5 tablespoons ice water
• 6 cups peeled, sliced peaches, blueberries, blackberries, pitted cherries, or your favorite mixture
• ¾ cup sugar
• dash cinnamon
1. Preheat oven to 425 F.
2. Combine flour, salt, shortening, and butter in food processor. Add water slowly, and run until the dough forms a ball. Remove from processor, put ball of dough in plastic bag, flatten slightly, and refrigerate for at least half an hour.
3. Roll out the dough on a floured tea towel into a large ragged circle bigger than your baking dish.
4. Roll up the dough on the rolling pin like a window shade, and drape it over the baking dish, with the excess hanging over.
5. Fill the crust with 6 cups mixed fruit (the proportion doesn’t really matter).
6. Sprinkle with 3/4 cups sugar and a sprinkle of cinnamon.
7. Bring the crust up and over the fruit; it won’t completely cover, but patch in the bits that you have left over. Sprinkle the top with more sugar if you like.
8. Place a baking sheet under the pan and bake in preheated oven for about 45 minutes until the crust is browned and the fruit is bubbling up.
9. Serve with ice cream or whipped cream.
Contributed by Elise Meyer, www.muchadoaboutstuffing.com