Prosciutto and Wild Mushrooms Mac and Cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups hot milk
- small pinch freshly grounded nutmeg
- salt and fresh black pepper
- 1 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 – 3 cups fresh wild mushrooms, cleaned and trimmed, or dried porcini soaked in water and drained
- 1 box good quality dry short pasta, such as cavatelli or cavatappi
- 10 slices thin prosciutto, cut in small strips
- 1 stick butter (can use part truffle butter)
- salt and pepper
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Make the Béchamel sauce. Melt the butter in a pan, stir in the flour and cook for a few minutes. Add the hot milk, stirring to thicken. Boil only for a minute and season with the nutmeg, salt and pepper.
- Stir half of the grated Parmesan into the Béchamel. It should be thick and creamy.
- Precook the pasta in hot boiling water. Drain 2 minutes before the indicated cooking time.
- Stir the drained pasta in a bowl with 2 tablespoons of the butter or truffle butter if using.
- Mix in most of the Béchamel sauce, reserving 4 tablespoons.
- Add the prosciutto and mushrooms and season well with salt and pepper. Stir.
- Place in an oiled 8” x 12” baking dish and cover with the reserved Béchamel. Sprinkle with the other half of the grated Parmesan, then add small pats of remaining butter all over the top.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown on top.
– truffle butter (optional)
– fresh black pepper
– wild mushrooms
– dry short pasta, such as cavatelli or cavatappi
– olive oil
CHOPPED Champion Silvia Baldini
Chef and Founder of Strawberry and Sage