Fried Green Tomatoes with Sriracha Remoulade
Fried green tomatoes are a Southern classic and a great way to enjoy unripened, end-
of-the-season tomatoes from our farmers’ market. If you don’t see them at your
favorite farmer’s tent, ASK!
For the tomatoes:
4-5 green tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon each – salt and pepper
1 cup self-rising white cornmeal mix
1/2 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
4 tablespoons canola oil, divided for 2 pans
For the remoulade:
1 cup low-fat mayonnaise
2 scallions, finely chopped
2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
1 tablespoon sriracha hot chili sauce (or more to taste)
1. Cut tomatoes into ½-inch slices. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and allow to rest for
2. Combine cornmeal mix and panko crumbs in a shallow dish. Set up a second dish
3. Whisk eggs in a bowl.
4. Line up assembly line of flour, eggs and cornmeal/panko mix.
5. Dredge each slice of tomato in flour, shaking off extra. Dip slice into egg, then
cornmeal mixture. Prepare all tomato slices for frying.
6. Heat oil in 2 large, non-stick pans. Gently place tomatoes into hot oil and fry until
golden, turning once. Fried tomatoes should be crispy and lightly browned.
7. Place fried tomatoes on paper towel-lined plates or cookie sheet and season with
additional salt and pepper.
8. Stir all remoulade ingredients together in a medium bowl until well combined. Keep
covered in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Notes: Fried green tomatoes may be kept warm in a 225 degree oven on a foil-lined
cookie sheet. It’s best to eat these right away. These are great served sliced in half or
quarters on top of a simple bed of fresh greens with a squeeze of lemon or the
remoulade sauce here. This recipe is dairy-free.