Beet, Rice, and Goat Cheese Burgers – Featured July Recipe Program
These burgers taste even better after they sit for a day in the refrigerator. Make them ahead for quick meals during the week and reheat in a medium oven or a skillet.
2 cups cooked brown rice
1 cup finely diced or grated roasted beets
¼ cup chopped fresh herbs, such as parsley and dill
1 15-ounce can white beans, drained and rinsed
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 ounces goat cheese, crumbled
Salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Combine the rice, beets, and herbs in a large bowl.
- Puree the beans with the lemon juice and egg in a food processor or with a fork. Scrape into the bowl with the rice and beets. Add goat cheese, salt and pepper, and mix the ingredients together.
- Moisten your hands and form 6 patties.
- Working in batches, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil at a time in a heavy ovenproof skillet and brown the patties on one side for 2 minutes. Turn over onto the other side and place in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Serve with or without buns, ketchup, and the works.
- brown rice
- 1 small bunch beets
- 2 small bunches fresh herbs of choice, such as parsley and dill
- 1 15-ounce can white beans
- 1 egg
- 2 ounces goat cheese
- extra-virgin olive oil
Sue Smith, Certified Health Counselor, Prime Health Style